The Metrology Bureau (hereafter in the text – LATMB) is a structural unit of the Standardization, Accreditation and Metrology Centre Ltd. (SAMC) and acts under supervision of Ministry of Economics of Republic of Latvia, which according to the law On Unification of Measurements being the national metrology institution, is responsible for performance of the tasks stated in this law and other acts of metrology field.
Main tasks of LATMB are:
- to ensure maintenance of the standards of physical quantity measurement units and reproduction of measurement units;
- to approve measurement instrument types and include them in the State Register of Measuring Instruments;
- to carry out conformity assessment procedures for measuring instruments; subject to the State Metrological control;
- to provide calibration services;
- to cooperate with metrology organisations in other countries;
- to engage in the work of international metrology organisations;
- to organise and also take part in interlaboratory comparisons.